Vickers Vanguard At Brooklands
Welcome to the home page for the only complete Vanguard/Merchantman out
of the total of 44 that were built.
For the latest news, please select the news page.
We are located at
the Vanguards were built on this site by Vickers-Armstrongs between 1959
(prototype G-AOYW S/No 703) and the last one CF-TKW (S/No 746) in April
1664. The last BEA aircraft was G-APEU (S/No 723) in March 1662.
Superb was built in 1961 and had seating for 135 passengers.
After conversion to a freighter,
it could carry 11 pallets 108" x 88" (2.75m x 2.25m) and a load of 19
Tonnes (19,000 kg). It ceased commercial operations on 30th September
1996 and it was the last one of its type to fly when it was delivered
back to Brooklands on 17 October 1996. See the history page for further
After its arrival it was parked adjacent to the runway and was often
taxied along it until the final time on 29 May 2004.
On Saturday 5 June 2004, it was moved over the bridge and into its
present home in the Vickers Aircraft Park.
The aircraft is kept as serviceable as possible, although spares are
We celebrated our 50th
anniversary on the 3rd
See the gallery for pictures of the event.
complex now covers the site of the runway where it landed.